Sunday, March 18, 2012

traveling for love

On Saturday, my last day in Austin, I was interested in making more attempts at busking and selling the bracelets I make on the street. Recently I’ve started incorporating washers that I find while riding the bicycle around. I found a lot in Austin. The more weathered the better I feel, but sometimes a shiny one has another kind of character.

First on the days agenda though was to catch the farmer’s market. I made it to the last fifteen minutes. Bought some parsnips and tight little heads of cabbage from johnson's backyard garden, who had the most awesome and full produce stand. Just as things were closing up i was attracted to a stand selling compost and other organic fertilizers. I chatted with the guy there, who is a landscaper and sells these products for a company south of Austin called microbial earth farms. When i told him i am trying to build a compost pile every place i visit he said that he puts in a compost pile in every landscape he designs. It is not optional he said jokingly. Even if the homeowner doesn't maintain the pile it is bound to have some benefit for the surrounding soils, we agreed.

After the market I went over to whole foods, a few blocks away, to try my luck making some money there. A band was playing in their little courtyard and also kitty corner at a record store venue, so playing the mbira was not going to work. I sat and worked on a bracelet with my little display of finished ones sitting next to me. One girl asked if I was selling them and when I told her I was hoping to receive $10-15 for one she retreated and did not come back. It was nice to be noticed at least. There was a nice guy who took interest in what I was doing and asked about my trip. He said he and his friends take advantage of all the free booze, food, and music of this festival and have a great time. He recommended that I make a sign saying I was traveling. More people might donate if they dig my story. Where would I find the makings for a sign…

As I rode back towards the main action of sxsw I remembered I had seen this big public mural being painted and thought I might find paint there I could use to make a sign on a peice of cardboard. I found it, got a piece of cardboard out of a nearby dumpster, painted a pudg on the wall (dedicated to moebius, who recently passed away), and then painted this sign. It read ‘TRAVELING for LOVE, THANKS for DONATIONS’. You know what I mean right? Well, there are nuances for me that may not translate, but I liked the simplicity of this wording.

I joined in the march and immediately started beaming even more than I had been before. It felt good to be with these expressive people who were willing to speak out together, advocating peace. I realized during the march that I was blessed to be in a position to just step out into the street and join in. many people are in a vehicle, on a schedule, or have some obligation to fulfill, which makes it difficult to be spontaneous.

The walk was not long down congress and then over to city hall, where we arrived to enjoy performances by various wonderful musicians. Soon after arriving there a woman came up to me, handed me $10, and with a smile and nod walked off. The sign had worked some magic! I then ran into the hula hooper who I had first met in Santa Barbara!

No comments:

Post a Comment