Tuesday, March 6, 2012

silver city to TorC

basically i rode a little over thirty miles towards hillsboro, where i had hoped to stay the night, and still had a long way to go when dusk dropped and it began to get very cold. there was snow on the ground and ice on the roads. i didn't know how much farther it was or if there was more climbing to do. after a short break i was about to mount up again when i heard a truck coming along in my direction. i stuck out my thumb as it passed. a little ways ahead i saw them come to a stop! what a relief! they ended up giving me a ride the rest of the way to TorC. as we proceeded through the gila national forest i saw that i would have had a lot more hard climbing ahead of me, and many more miles before hillsboro. it did look like a nice little town, as i had been told, but i was happy to be getting farther along. the ride in the back of the pickup was strenuous during the curvy sections and very cold once we picked up more speed. i ate some toasted squash seeds to stave off my hunger until arrival. these nice folks, on their way back from a basketball game to the albuquerque area, accepted my $5 for gas and wished me good luck. i am so blessed!

in TorC i stayed with a friend of kristin's named paul. it came together just at the last minute. when i discovered what he was doing at his house it felt like destiny again. he was doing rainwater harvesting using earthworks! this is something i had been wanting to learn more about and get my hands in since tucson. since paul was going to be driving to Las Cruces on monday i had a day to spend at his place helping out! that day i did just a little digging on one earthwork and spent more time on building the base of his brand new COMPOST PILE! it made me really happy when he said 'maybe i could get my neighbors to donate their food scraps...' YES! that's the way.


IN PROGRESS!

wolf the traveler
mullein
water
hitch to TorC
jagger
paul

No comments:

Post a Comment