Saturday, July 7, 2012

cumberland to carpenter´s boat shop


i'd been in contact with a guy named joe who i met at the contra dance in princeton. he and some friends from PA decided to take a little road trip up to belfast, then falmouth, ME, for two nights of contra dancing. the timing was perfect, so they swooped me up on their way. my hosts of cumberland invited this carload of merry-makers to come back for a party they were having the next day, before the contra dance in falmouth. connection bonus!

i left my shoes at the house in cumberland, so one of the guys let me borrow his for the evening of the contra dance. he was using an old pair of shoes as his dancing shoes, but had some new hiking shoes too. i proposed we trade shoes. he could pick up my shoes, which were in similarly worn condition, when he returned for the party in cumberland. he agreed, so i had a new old pair of shoes to travel in!

the band who played this contra dance was a very skilled two-piece called 'notorious'. it was a really fun dance also because there were lots of people of all ages. i enjoyed dancing with a couple of older women, and many of the beautiful young women. no men this time. another experience of truly joyful community!

at my request the caller kindly announced my need for a place to stay the night. in my announcement i put 'farm towards pemaquid a plus'. the first person who approached me in response asked where i was going in pemaquid. when i told him the boat shop he said he works there! so i rode with he and the girls from there who also came up for the dance. they were supposed to have a full car, but one person had not ended up joining them...







No comments:

Post a Comment