Thursday, December 29, 2011

trees and people





















we are related to trees. i feel a great gratitude towards trees. i feel a deep brotherhood with trees. when i am riding my bike up a hill or through opressive landscapes i get encouragement from trees by the roadside. trees are great givers, supporting many organisms that feed on them and use them for shelter. in life they have a symbiotic relationship with fungi, and when they die the fungi help decompose their bodies so that they may feed the next generation of trees.

this story about how trees communicate through relationships with mycelial networks was recently brought to my attention.

another beautiful video related to this theme of trees is the man who planted trees, an animated film which i just watched for the first time! beautifully made, just as i had heard.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Davis....just catching up with your posts...I lost track somewhere during green string farm entries when all my reading glasses fell apart, wifi access became unavailable and many other situations involving communications occurred. Loved your travels down and thru California. I first gardened in SB out near where Fairview Farms is now....I think that is Michael Ableman's place...he has a place on Salt Spring Island now. that was all before the lemon orchards were bulldozed away.
    so this afternoon resumed reading and found this entry about trees...and I thot I MUST send him the video of BC researcher entitled Mother Tree......then when I was wondering where I wrote down your email address, I realized that I had mailed it out to everyone as a New Year's Greeting, inc. your mother. I bet that is where you got it....I got it from a wonderful site I go to regularly.....fellow tree lover Druid Philip Carr Gomm at his wordpress log.
    You would love it too.....and it will be waiting for such time when you aren't rolling all over the country.
    okay, am enjoying your travels, great photos, the aloe is sprouting more leaves and is getting tall (er) and I am off to see how you do in the desert.

    ReplyDelete