Saturday, April 7, 2012

half-way recap

well folks, the idea of this HOOP TOUR is to travel in a big loop from my home in the puget sound area of washington state, down through the south in the winter, and back through the south of canada in the summer. what i set out to do is live by the law of the hoop, which is to put in what i want to get back from life. this is the golden rule and the reality of our existence. cause and affect. in my life it means helping those people who help me, sweeping the floor of the house i stay in, or doing dishes after a meal. it also means returning the nutrients that have cycled through my body back to the earth to nourish future generations. it means stewarding resources so they remain available. providing for the health of our neighbors, as we are all important to the health of the whole. love begets love, fear begets fear.

the trip began in august with serving a meditation course at the NW vipassana center. i proceeded south through the willamette valley of oregon by bicycle, to eugene, and then out to the coast, continuing south to arrive at Green String Farm for a three month internship september-december. after a short stay in oakland i made my way by public transit to santa cruz. i visited some farms around there and then bicycled the big sur coast, hosted by nature for three nights under trees. i spent christmas with my dad's buddy larry in ojai/santa barbara area. took the train to L.A. and spent new years there with my aunt karen. i found a rideshare out to phoenix from L.A. and then bicycled down to tucson, where i spent about a month. after that i visited arcosanti and attended the winter count primitive skills conference near phoenix. i got a ride with new canadian friends from tempe to fort apache, where i stayed almost a week. then i bicycled and hitched my way through the mountains of the arizona/new mexico border down to silver city. rode and hitched over to the city with the weirdest name, Truth or Consequences, and from there got a ride with my kind host down to las cruces. another craigslist rideshare brought some items i had left in L.A., picked me up, and dropped me in Austin, texas. there i stayed in the apartment of my sister and saw her off at the airport when she moved back to washington. craigslist rideshare came through again to bring me to new orleans. there i stayed and did some satisfying work, both internal and external, before taking off on the bicycle again. it took me five days to get to pensicola, where i was blessed to stay on a tall ship for a couple nights and help them out a little with their work. i continued riding along the gulf coast, found a ride in panama city beach, and arrived in tallahassee late in the night on thursday, april 5th to the welcome of a couple young farmers with sourdough starter, sauerkraut, and kimchi in their fridge! because i had accepted this ride i was able to spend friday helping at full earth farm. it also meant i got to spend thursday relaxing and taking dips in the beautiful waters at panama city beach. both were heavenly days for me, full of positive interactions and blessings.

this feels like the half way point to me, but i have traveled less than half the distance in more than half the intended time. probably i will be returning a little later than i originally thought, to arrive back in washington in late september or october, as the weather will still be tolerable for traveling by bicycle. i could even travel by train or rideshare the last bit. i would like to be back home before my next birthday, on november 25th, when i will be completing my 30th year! i want to celebrate with family and friends in the place of my birth, in the house where my dad and step mother still live.
on april 18th i will be sitting a ten day vipassana course at the SE vipassana center in georgia. there are more centers along my route and i will be serving and sitting a couple more courses when i come to them. i may finish my trip with a course at the NW vipassana center.

what i have found all along the way so far have been just the experiences that i needed. i have seen how beautiful things happen when i engage in life with love and openness. there have been many challenges helping me grow into a more resilient and effective person, able to take responsibility for my own well being. i've encouraged people in their good work and helped with earth and soul healing through gardening and singing circles. there is much more of this to come as i continue up the east side of the U.S. and back across through the north. hope you will follow this story and allow it to inspire you in your own awakening.

No comments:

Post a Comment